You are hereWhat is TIVA? / Tiva History
In 1922 the Texas Vocational Association (TVA) was formed. It was the professional organization for vocational agriculture teachers, home economics teachers and trade and industrial teachers. TVA was affiliated with the American Vocational Association (AVA).
During the following years, educators of both vocational agriculture and home economics saw the need to establish their own organizations. These organizations became affiliated with AVA. In the early 1950’s the Texas Vocational Technical Association (TVTA) was formed. It replaced TVA and it affiliated with AVA.
The need for a trade and industrial education voice in the state became evident as our numbers grew; and in 1958, the Texas Industrial Vocational Association (TIVA) was formed and became an affiliate of AVA.
In the summer of 1973, several teacher educators and the state staff for Trade and Industrial Education donated $50.00 each to a fund set up to serve as a base for developing the association and hiring a staff to assume the responsibilities that heretofore had been handled by volunteers.
In 1974, TIVA hired its first paid employee, a full-time Executive Director. The TIVA headquarters was established at 300 Rae Dell Drive in Austin, Texas.
On July 29, 1975, TIVA was incorporated and was commended by AVA for the quality of its Constitution and Bylaws.
In 1976 TIVA and all other Texas professional vocational associations aligned themselves under TVTA. At that time TVTA became the only Texas organization directly affiliated with AVA.
The membership of TIVA exceeded one thousand in the 1976-77 fiscal year. In the winter of 1977 TIVA moved its headquarters to the TSTA Building, located two blocks west of the State Capitol. As of 1977 the address of TIVA has been 316 West Twelfth Street, Austin, Texas 78701. In 1986, TIVA contracted with the state student leadership organizations, the Texas Association of the Vocational Industrial Clubs of American (VICA) and the Vocational Opportunities Clubs of Texas (VOCT) to perform their administrative services.
In 1987, the contract was altered. TIVA kept financial records, membership records, and administered state leadership conferences. The remainder of functions were performed by the Trade and Industrial state staff at the Texas Education Agency. <
The Vocational Opportunities Clubs of Texas (VOCT) was dissolved in 1993 and merged with Texas Association of the Vocational Industrial Clubs of America (VICA). This was done to be in compliance with the state eliminated CVAE programs and mainstreaming those students in with all other students.
In 1993, due to the reduction of staff at TEA, VICA elected a task force which became the first Board of Directors for Texas Association of VICA. In 1994 a State Director for Texas VICA was hired and opened their offices at 314 East Highland Mall Blvd., Austin, Texas 78752. TIVA’s services were no longer needed because Texas VICA now had its own staff.
In 1993 the general membership of TIVA voted to merge with other career and technology associations to form TCTE, An Association for Career and Technology Educators. The six affiliated organizations were Career and Technology Administrators of Texas (CTAT), Marketing Educators of Texas (MET), Texas Business and Technology Educators (TBTE), Texas Health Occupations Association (THOA), Texas Industrial Vocational Association (TIVA), and Texas Career and Technology Guidance Association (TCTGA). However, in 1998 the general membership of TIVA voted to disaffiliate with TCTE and once again be their own entity.
Also in 1994 Texas Vocational Technical Association (TVTA) changed its name to Texas Career and Technology Council (TVTC). They remain the affiliate of AVA.